Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Fair Time

It's Clay County Fair week and for years this was the "state fair" to me. It used to lay claim to the title of "World's Largest County Fair". Somehow that title has gone away, but it's still a great fair. It signifies so much. The start of school, the end of summer and beginning of fall, harvest and family. The 4-H kids work so hard all year long to have their exhibits ready for display and the ribbons reflect their efforts. It's a beautiful time.

Last night we went to the fair as Dallas was mucking out the sheep, cattle and swine barns with her FFA group. I've never seen so many kids working so hard and having such a great time doing it. They truly are a great group of kids. Dallas, not being a "farm kid" by no choice of her own, was telling us stories last night of the manure (dry) they were all flinging at each other as they cleaned stalls. All I could do was smile. Memories are being made and life long friendships are being formed. Mom is so proud.

Avoided the corndogs, Tom Thumb donuts and funnel cakes.....not sure I'll be able to do that on Friday for kids day!!

For those of you who are former 4-H'ers such as myself, here's something I'm sure you all remember:

I pledge my Head to clearer thinking, my Heart to greater loyalty, my Hands to larger service and my Health to better living, for my club, my community, my country and my world.

1 comment:

  1. Do you know that our Pastor that married us did the 4 H pledge during the "message" of our wedding. :) SO Scott...and I of course So the city girl. It was a great moment. Love that you have this blog.

    ReplyDelete